Monday, May 25, 2020

A Failed Rescue

On Sunday Dom went for a dirt-bike ride through some trails in Gatineau.  He ended up puncturing his tire and needed me to come rescue him with an air compressor that works when connected with two bikes.

This was my first time riding alone.

I met him at a grocery parking lot without incident and used the air compressor to inflate his tire.

All seemed well, until I turned off my bike before the air compressor was disconnected.

Yah, don't do that.  Apparently it can kill your battery!

Now Dom had to rescue the rescuer!  He returned home to get booster cables.  I waited in the parking lot.  He optimistically came back with his V-Strom - thinking that we would go for a little ride after my bike was resuscitated.

10 minutes later he arrived and we were staring at my bike trying to find the battery.

I own a BMW F650 GS that I call "Little Blue".  A German-made machine that has a gas tank under the seat and the battery just underneath the handle bars.  In the end, it looked like we were conducting open heart surgery in the parking lot!  We had to remove plastic paneling with German torx screw heads - luckily Dom had the right tools for those.

We hooked up the booster cables and tried to start the bike.  It just wouldn't take.  It was super dead.

After a half hour of trying to start the bike we put Plan B into action.

Plan B was riding home and getting our car and attaching a tow cradle to it.  Dom had made his own tow cradle for the dirt-bike.  Little Blue is 100 pounds heavier than the dirt-bike but should still fit.

We got back to the parking lot and strapped Little Blue to the tow cradle.  We had to re-do it a few times to make sure there wasn't too much pressure on the plastic sides.  Then we drove slowly home.

The 'rescue' took 3 hours - and was only a 5 minute drive from home.

I don't know if you've ever had something like this happen.  It reminds me of how we try to be there for someone else emotionally and end up having our own heart hurt in the process.  We need to stay connected to God when we are there for others and not take the burden on ourselves but send it straight to Him.  His love can support both of you.  You need to stay connected to Him through the process.

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my what an ordeal ☹️ but your take on it and verse was what I needed to hear. After today I'm starting to feel the burdens of much work piling up. Trying not to let myself get overwhelmed..but knowing I need to out more time into seeking Jesus than my work.

    ReplyDelete